1/1/2020 – 12/20/2020
The Yellowstone Art Museum is now calling for submissions for the Artist-in-Residence program! Now in its 17th year, apply to be our next resident to practice in the same space as some of Montana’s most celebrated artists. Enjoy 24-hour access to the 800-square-foot Gary and Melissa Oakland Artist in Residence Studio inside the Visible Vault. Connect with new audiences, expand your practice, and become a member of the YAM Family!
Duration and Dates
- Applications are due by Monday, October 9th, 2023, and will be reviewed beginning Friday, October 13th, 2023; applicants will be contacted the following week.
- Our residency program begins in mid-January. The duration will depend upon the scope of the artist’s proposal and the applicant pool.
How to Apply
Residences are selected based on their work’s merit, interest in public interaction, and the scope of their artistic investigation. To apply, please complete the following application and return it to YAM’s Curatorial Assistant, Kimberly Gaitonde, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to Yellowstone Art Museum, ATTN: Curatorial Assistant, 401 North 27th Street, Billings, MT 59101:
- Artist Bio and Statement
- Concise proposal stating interest and scope of work to be produced while in residence and preference for residency duration and weekly availability.*
- Images of relevant work with corresponding title, date, medium, and dimensions.
- Professional reference(s)
* Housed in the Visible Vault alongside the Museum’s collection, there are some limitations in media use (no open flame, toxic fumes, dust, etc.).
Studio Location and Conditions
The Studio is located within the Visible Vault collection storage building:
505 N 26th Street, Billings, MT 59101.
- Artists will have 24-hour secured access to the 800-square-foot Gary and Melissa Oakland Artist in Residence Studio.
- The Artist-in-residence must maintain at least 20 hours weekly in the studio.
- Coordinate occasional school studio visits with the Education department.
- Maintain an open studio and Interact with the visiting public during special events such as First Fridays and Art Walk.
- Hold an exhibition of the work completed during the residency in the Visible Vault exhibition space.
- Housing is NOT provided.