Summerfair Artist Information
Summerfair, now in its 40th year, is a major summer arts and crafts festival, featuring artisans from across the country. An audience of over 8,000 people from Billings and the region enjoy live music, food, performing arts groups, and children’s activities in the festive atmosphere at beautiful Veterans Park. A benefit for the Yellowstone Art Museum, Summerfair is made possible by many community volunteers and generous sponsors.
Returning in 2018 is “Summerfair Eve” where we invite the public to enjoy Summerfair starting on Friday evening, July 13 from 4-9 p.m.
Summerfair Public Hours:
Friday, July 13, 2018 4 p.m. – 9 p.m.
Saturday, July 14, 2018 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Sunday, July 15, 2018 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Only artists selling their own HANDMADE works are eligible to participate.
dates and deadlines
February 2, 2018: Early submission deadline.
February 12, 2018 : Early jury notifications sent.
April 20, 2018: All entries and fees received for standard booth rates apply. Late fees apply if received after this date.
April 30, 2018: Standard jury notifications sent.
May 18, 2017: final date for applications to be received in order to be considered for Summerfair, space permitting. Late fees apply.
May 28, 2018: Final notification of jury results.
June 4, 2018: Last day to cancel application and receive full refund. No refunds offered after this date.
July 12, 2018: 8 a.m.–6 p.m.Artist Checkin-in and setup.
July 13, 2018: 7:30 a.m.–2 p.m. Artist check-in and setup.
July 13, 14, and 15, 2018: SUMMERFAIR is open to the public. Friday 4-9 p.m., Saturday 9 a.m.–5 p.m. (8:30 a.m. for Seniors), Sunday 10 a.m.–4 p.m.
Application and jury fee: $30 (non-refundable)
Early booth fee (submitted by January 30):
12′ x 12′ – $325
12′ x 20′ – $400
Standard booth fee (submitted January 31–April 20):
12′ x 12′ – $350
12′ x 20′ – $425
Late booth fee (April 20–May 26):
12 x 12′ – $400
12 x 20′ – $475
Local non-profit organization discounted fee:
$50 per booth
Limit one 12 x 12′ booth per organization. Acceptance must be authorized by the YAM. No requests made after May 26 will be granted.
$20 – Booths with electrical access are limited at Summerfair. You can reserve a booth with electrical access on a first-come, first-serve basis for an additional $20 will be added to your booth fee.
Extension cords are not supplied.
- Marketing: Summerfair is one of Billings premier cultural events of the summer. It draws over 10,000 attendees and is covered by local news stations and newspapers.
- The Summerfair website will be updated with artist lists and links to artist pages if a url is provided in the application.
- Vehicle access to the fair site is provided only during set up and tear down hours.
- Artist Hospitality: A complimentary artist breakfast is provided Saturday morning from 7:00–8:30 a.m. Free coffee is provided for artists Saturday and Sunday. Free water as well as booth sitters are provided throughout the weekend by volunteer support.
- All booth spaces will be preassigned and specific spaces are not guaranteed. Location is based on last year’s booth placement and date of application received.
- Each exhibitor is responsible for providing his/her own booth and equipment. Since Summerfair is outdoors, exhibitors should plan for sun and/or inclement weather..
- Only service animals will be allowed on the Summerfair site, but dog sitting will be provided for Saturday and Sunday.
- Exhibitors will receive an ample amount of booth space (at least 12’ x 12’) with additional storage space behind booth.
- Exhibitors may not use any additional space without consulting show coordinator. All work, display, and storage must stay within the assigned exhibitor space. Booths should not interfere with neighboring booths. Show coordinator shall make the final determination and participants must adhere to coordinator decisions.
- Exhibitions not conforming to event guidelines will be asked to remove those items or entire exhibit booth if necessary.
- 24 hour security is provided for the park grounds, but due to the breadth of Veterans Park we recommend all artists remove and safely store important or expensive items each night.
- Cancellation by artist for any reason after June 1st will result in forfeiture of booth fee.
- Summerfair artists are required to stay open for business until Sunday, July 9th, until the closing time of 4:00 p.m. Vehicles will not be allowed on the grounds until 4:30 p.m. on Sunday.
- Jurying is done by a committee of art community members.
- Jurors look for salable, fine quality, creative, original work by the artist. The committee strives to balance media representation. Only work hand-crafted by the selling artist is acceptable. No commercial or mass-produced products will be permitted, except offset reproductions of paintings or drawings, as long as the original art is also for sale in the artist’s booth. Since images of work are the determining factor in acceptance, take pictures with care. Jury decisions are final.
- Each applicant must send four digital images (via email, CD, or online application) that clearly represent work to be sold at Summerfair. The committee recommends that three of these show a small grouping (2-4 items), in order to give the jurors a clear understanding of the variety and range of your work. One image should show your complete booth display. The committee reserves the right to refuse any artist the privilege of exhibiting work not previously approved by the jury.
- The committee reserves the right to refuse any artist the privilege of exhibiting work not previously approved by the jury.
- The total sum of your appropriate booth fee and $30 application fee must accompany images and be mailed on CD or sent electronically (via the Paypal link supplied after submission) with this application. Images will not be juried without required fees.
- If not accepted by the jury, your booth fee will be refunded at the completion of the jury process.
- All artists will receive notification of the jurying results by mail and email. Jury result inquires via phone will be accepted after jury notification dates have passed.
- Cancellation by artist for any reason after June 4 will result in forfeiture of booth fee.
The YAM is NO LONGER accepting applications for Summerfair 2018.
If you fill out the electronic version, below, you must complete payment process via PayPal or Credit Card to be considered OR mail payment to the YAM. Processing the electronic form of the application and photos may take awhile so please be patient until it redirects you to PayPal page. Four images that clearly represent work to be sold at Summerfair must be uploaded with the form below or sent by email to email@example.com in a jpeg format with subject line “Summerfair Artist Photos: *(your business name”) or by mailing a CD of the images to address below.
Emailed images must be under 10MB max total for email to go through.
*Any bank/Paypal fees associated with insufficient or questionable payments will be the responsibility of the client to pay.
Make checks payable to YAM
Yellowstone Art Museum
401 N. 27th Street
Billings, MT 59101
Please call Shane de Leon our Special Events Coordinator, at 406-256-6804 ext. 236 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions or if you have any trouble making payments with the form below.