Art Auction Artist Application
Artists please fill out the online form below (online submissions are preferred) or you may download a PDF version and mail it along with a CD of properly labeled, digital files to:
51st Art Auction at the YAM,
Yellowstone Art Museum
401 North 27th Street, Billings, MT 59101
Important dates to remember:
Friday, October 12, 2018 – Submission deadline
Friday, November 16, 2018 – Notification of acceptance mailed
Friday, December 14, 2018 – Art delivered to YAM by artist
Friday, January 25, 2019 – Exhibition Opening Reception
Saturday, March 2, 2019 – Live & silent auction night
Benefits to submitting art
artists who are juried in, along with supporting this charitable event, enjoy the following benefits:
- Inclusion in the 51st Annual Art Auction and exhibition, which is presented in the museum’s main galleries, and runs from January 25 to March 2, 2019, at the Yellowstone Art Museum in Billings, Montana.
A special invitation to the opening reception, preview event & auction honoring participating artists, Friday evening, January 25, 2019.
- One copy of the full-color catalog.
- All juried works are included in the online catalog available on the YAM’s website.
- Widespread regional advertising and promotion of the Auction.
One complimentary ticket to the culminating event on March 2, 2019.
- Special acknowledgment for artists making full donations to live or silent auctions on exhibition signage, catalog, and website.
- Please fill out the entire submission form.
- Artists agree that all accepted work will be for sale the night of the Auction, March 2, 2019.
- Artists agree that accepted work may appear in either the live or silent auction, at the YAM’s discretion.
- Completed application (sent via online application, email, or standard post.)
- 50-word artist statement emailed (required.)
Digital image requirements
- May send up to two images for each artwork entry.
- Digital images are required (slides or prints will not be accepted)
- If submitting by CD, label CD with Last Name, First Name, AA51.
Label each image in a similar fashion, including the artist Last name, First name, and Title of the Work. (example: Smith_John_Still Life 1.jpg)
- Images should be at least 1MB (~1000 x 1000 pixels at 200 dpi).
The quality of your artwork image affects jurying. Submit a high-quality image of the artwork only, excluding artwork frame. Selections may be disqualified if the YAM is unable to obtain a high-quality image before the catalog press deadline.
Eligibility and judging
- To be considered for the live auction, all artists must submit a 50-word artist statement.
- 51st Art Auction at the YAM is open to all original media (2-D and 3-D) except jewelry. Reproductions, including giclées and mechanical prints on canvas, will be disqualified.
- Up to four works may be submitted. Works will be juried based on the digital entries. No more than two works from one artist are selected.
- Submitted work must be created within the last five years.
- Works submitted to past Art Auctions are not eligible.
- Over-sized objects will be considered, but are discouraged due to spatial considerations from buyers. Two-dimensional objects exceeding 48” high x 72” wide, and three-dimensional objects weighing over 150 pounds are considered over-sized artwork submissions.
Delivery of selected works
- All 2-D works must be framed and ready to hang. All 3-D works must have proper supports, hanging devices, and, if needed, instructions for installation.
- The YAM will not be responsible for works framed/mounted in an unstable manner.
- Any artwork that does not these requirements will be disqualified.
- Only selected work will be included; no substitutions. Upon receipt of the actual work, the YAM reserves the right to disqualify work that was not adequately represented or suitably prepared for exhibition.
- Any artist that does not meet these requirements will be disqualified.
- Shipping to the YAM is the responsibility of the artist. The YAM may choose not to include work that arrives late.
- Following the Auction, unsold works will be returned to the artists at the YAM’s expense, via non-additional insured UPS shipping.
- Artwork will only be shipped domestically. International shipping will be paid at the buyer’s/artist’s expense.
- All unsold Artwork will be returned in the manner & condition it was delivered. If an artist drops of art to the museum the artist is responsible for the picking up.
- Any artwork that is unclaimed by March 31st may be sold in the YAM’s consignment gallery or incur a daily $20 storage fee.
- If the artist changes residence at any time during the process of submission and exhibition, he or she must send written notification to ensure safe return of artwork and/or payment for sales.
- The YAM insures all works on its premises from arrival through departure from the premises or March 30, 2019, whichever comes first. Artists will be responsible for insuring work in transit to and from the YAM.
- Submission of work to this exhibition shall constitute an agreement on the part of the artist to the conditions set forth in this document, and shall further include permission to reproduce work in the catalog and for publicity.
- Split: The YAM will retain the percentage you select below, based on the actual sale price. The minimum is 50%. We warmly thank those who are submitting 100% or 75% donations! Your support of the Museum goes far in maintaining the high quality of exhibitions and programs at the Yellowstone Art Museum.
- Buy-It-Now Option: allows patrons to reserve works before March 2nd at the full retail cost + a surcharge. Items purchased in this manner will remain on exhibit until March 2, 2019.
- Reserve Price: The reserve price is the lowest value a piece will be sold for as well as where bidding will begin. We cannot accept reserves higher than 60% of your stated retail value, and recommend that you choose a reserve below 60% to increase the chance of sale. Reserves submitted higher than 60% will be automatically lowered if a piece is selected. Please note: the reserve is the lowest public sale price, not the lowest amount you will accept as your commission. A work sold at the reserve price will be subject to the percent of donation you check below.
Having trouble with this online form? Please be sure you fill out ALL required fields (with red asterisk) before selecting Submit and do NOT use dollar symbols.
Questions? Please Shane de Leon, at (406) 256-6804 ext. 236 or firstname.lastname@example.org.