Summerfair Artist Application
Summerfair, now in its 39th year, is a major summer arts and crafts festival, featuring a variety of artisans from across the country, attracting more than 10,000 people from Billings and the surrounding region. Music, ethnic foods, performing arts groups, and children’s activities contribute to the festive atmosphere at beautiful Veterans Park. Come join the crowds and the fun, sell your work, and be a part of an exciting event. A benefit for the Yellowstone Art Museum, Summerfair is made possible by the efforts of hundreds of community volunteers and generous sponsors.
New this year is “An Evening of Art” where we invite the public to enjoy Summerfair starting on Friday, July 7 from 4-9 p.m.
Summerfair Public Hours:
Friday July 7, 4 p.m. – 9 p.m.
Saturday July 8, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Sunday July 9, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Only artists selling their own HANDMADE works are eligible to participate.
dates and deadlines
January 30, 2017: Early submission deadline.
February 10, 2017: Early jury notifications sent.
April 17, 2017: All entries and fees received for standard booth rates apply. Late fees apply if received after this date.
April 28, 2017: Standard jury notifications sent.
May 15, 2017: final date for applications to be received in order to be considered for Summerfair, space permitting. Late fees apply.
May 26, 2017: Final notification of jury results.
June 1, 2017: Last day to cancel application and receive full refund. No refunds offered after this date.
July 6, 2017: 8 a.m.–6 p.m.Artist Checkin-in and setup.
July 7, 2017: 7:30 a.m.–2 p.m. Artist check-in and setup.
July 7, 8, and 9, 2017: SUMMERFAIR is open to the public. Friday 4-9 p.m., Saturday 9 a.m.–5 p.m. (8:30 a.m. for Seniors), Sunday 10 a.m.–4 p.m. (9:30 a.m. for Seniors)
Application and jury fee: $30 (non-refundable)
Early booth fee (submitted by January 30):
12′ x 12′ – $325
12′ x 20′ – $400
Standard booth fee (submitted January 31–April 17):
12′ x 12′ – $350
12′ x 20′ – $425
Late booth fee (April 18–May 15):
12 x 12′ – $400
12 x 20′ – $475
Local non-profit organization discounted fee:
$50 per booth
Limit one 12 x 12′ booth per organization. Acceptance must be authorized by the YAM. No requests made after May 16 will be granted.
$20 – Booths with electrical access are limited at Summerfair. You can reserve a booth with electrical access on a first-come, first-serve basis for an additional $20 will be added to your booth fee.
Extension cords are not supplied.
- Marketing: Summerfair is one of Billings premier cultural events of the summer. It draws over 10,000 attendees and is covered by local news stations and newspapers.
- The Summerfair website will be updated with artist lists and links to artist pages if a url is provided in the application.
- Vehicle access to the fair site is provided only during set up and tear down hours.
- Artist Hospitality: A complimentary artist breakfast is provided Saturday morning from 7:00–8:30 a.m. Free coffee is provided for artists Saturday and Sunday. Free water as well as booth sitters are provided throughout the weekend by volunteer support.
- All booth spaces will be preassigned and specific spaces are not guaranteed. Location is based on last year’s booth placement and date of application received.
- Each exhibitor is responsible for providing his/her own booth and equipment. Since Summerfair is outdoors, exhibitors should plan for sun and/or inclement weather..
- Only service animals will be allowed on the Summerfair site, but dog sitting will be provided for Saturday and Sunday.
- Exhibitors will receive an ample amount of booth space (at least 12’ x 12’) with additional storage space behind booth.
- Exhibitors may not use any additional space without consulting show coordinator. All work, display, and storage must stay within the assigned exhibitor space. Booths should not interfere with neighboring booths. Show coordinator shall make the final determination and participants must adhere to coordinator decisions.
- Exhibitions not conforming to event guidelines will be asked to remove those items or entire exhibit booth if necessary.
- 24 hour security is provided for the park grounds, but due to the breadth of Veterans Park we recommend all artists remove and safely store important or expensive items each night.
- Cancellation by artist for any reason after June 1st will result in forfeiture of booth fee.
- Summerfair artists are required to stay open for business until Sunday, July 9th, until the closing time of 4:00 p.m. Vehicles will not be allowed on the grounds until 4:30 p.m. on Sunday.
- Jurying is done by a committee of art community members.
- Jurors look for salable, fine quality, creative, original work by the artist. The committee strives to balance media representation. Only work hand-crafted by the selling artist is acceptable. No commercial or mass-produced products will be permitted, except offset reproductions of paintings or drawings, as long as the original art is also for sale in the artist’s booth. Since images of work are the determining factor in acceptance, take pictures with care. Jury decisions are final.
- Each applicant must send four digital images (via email, CD, or online application) that clearly represent work to be sold at Summerfair. The committee recommends that three of these show a small grouping (2-4 items), in order to give the jurors a clear understanding of the variety and range of your work. One image should show your complete booth display. The committee reserves the right to refuse any artist the privilege of exhibiting work not previously approved by the jury.
- The committee reserves the right to refuse any artist the privilege of exhibiting work not previously approved by the jury.
- The total sum of your appropriate booth fee and $30 application fee must accompany images and be mailed on CD or sent electronically (via the Paypal link supplied after submission) with this application. Images will not be juried without required fees.
- If not accepted by the jury, your booth fee will be refunded at the completion of the jury process.
- All artists will receive notification of the jurying results by mail and email. Jury result inquires via phone will be accepted after jury notification dates have passed.
- Cancellation by artist for any reason after June 1 will result in forfeiture of booth fee.
Download a PDF version the application form, which can be emailed with your images, but payment must still be received via mail.
If you fill out the electronic version, below, you must complete payment process via PayPal or Credit Card to be considered OR mail payment to the YAM. Four images that clearly represent work to be sold at Summerfair must be uploaded with the form below or sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org in a jpeg format with subject line “Summerfair Artist Photos: *(your business name”) or by mailing a CD of the images to address below.
Emailed images must be under 10MB max total for email to go through.
*Any bank/Paypal fees associated with insufficient or questionable payments will be the responsibility of the client to pay.
Make checks payable to YAM
Yellowstone Art Museum
401 N. 27th Street
Billings, MT 59101
Please call Tanya our Special Events Coordinator, at 406-256-6804 ext. 236 or email at email@example.com for any questions or if you have any trouble making payments with the form below.