What people are saying
Here you will find media and news coverage as well as a few of the many comments left by patrons who have come to view our exhibitions at the Yellowstone Art Museum.
Yellowstone Art Museum News and Editorial
- Aug 2, 2017 – Coloring book features work by 26 artists from Montana and the West – Bronte Wittpenn of Billings Gazette
- Dec 24, 2016 – ‘Art empowers us, from children to adults’: YAM educator, Linda Ewert, honored for 30 years of service – Billings Gazette
- Dec 15, 2016 – Yellowstone Art Museum to Receive $25,000 grant from the National Endowments of the Arts – Your Big Sky
- Dec 5, 2016 – Downtown arts and culture create ‘experiential economy’-Anna Paige
- July 18, 2016 – 25 Best Things to Do in Billings, Montana – VacationIdea – Dream Vacation Magazine
- June 20, 2016 –Mentioned in, Top 3 Reasons to Move to Billings Montana – Allied
- Jun 15, 2016 –YAM director shares insight into 10 years at the helm – B Gazette
- Mar 11, 2016 – Yellowstone Art Museum earns re-accreditation – Billings Gazette
- Aug 27, 2015 – Group Tour Magazine, 2015 July Issue on page 37
EXHIBITIONS & ARTISTS
- August 24, 2017 – Superheroes take over at the Yellowstone Art Museum – Billlings Gazette
- August 14, 2017 – Montana Artist Connects Farm to Studio – KTVQ.com
- June 21, 2017 – Jaune Quick-to-See Smith at the Yellowstone Art Museum – Western Art & Architecture
- March 24, 2017 – Chaotic explosion of color examines Yellowstone Park’s hot springs – Billings Gazette
- October 19, 2016 – Related YAM exhibits are inspired by Peaceable Kingdom – Gazette
- August 26, 2016 – The Chinooks of Jussila – Pen and Paige
- July 21, 2016 – Volkersz’s work drives home a point: Art matters – Billings Gazette
- Jun 26, 2016 – Artists use skateboards for paintings – KTVQ.com
- Jun 26, 2016 – Yellowstone Art Museum announces winners of their art competition-Kulr8
- May 6, 2016 – Skateboard design contest brings culture to the community – Billings Gazette
- Mar 24, 2016 – Toucan Gallery hosts artists ‘In Conversation’ – Billings Gazette
- Mar 3, 2016 – YAM exhibits works by William de Kooning, Josef Albers – Billings Gazette
- Oct 28, 2015 – At long last, exhibit pays tribute to pioneering artist, Isabelle Johnson
- Oct 23, 2015 – Rebel artist Isabelle Johnson bucked tradition, introduced modernism to students – Billings Gazette
- Sep 2015 – Volkersz and John Buck and more – Art LTD
- Aug 31, 2015 – Claude Monet Anonymous Loan interview with Bob Durden – KTVQ.com
- Jul 3, 2015 – Summer exhibitions reception including The Botanicals exhibition, Billings Gazette
- May 29, 2015 – “See a Different Kind of Rodeo in Billings” Floyd D. Tunson exhibition – Sunset Magazine Westphoria
- May 24, 2015 – BLM Perserving Cabin Where Author ‘Slept it Off’ Will James exhibition – Washington Times
Art Under the Big Sky – YAM’s traveling exhibition:
- Mar 4, 2017 – Big night for the Yellowstone Art Museum – Jaci Webb, Billings Gazette
- Jan 22, 2017 – Auction art on display at Yellowstone Art Museum – KTVQ
- Jan 13, 2017 – YAM readies for big auction night – Jaci Webb, Billings Gazette
- Mar 5, 2016 – Auction 48 raises funds at the Yellowstone Art Museum – Billings Gazette
- Mar 4, 2016 – ‘SHAPES OF THE LAND’ Bozeman artist tells stories of people, land through her barbed wire, acrylic works – Billings Gazette
- Mar 4, 2016 – Yellowstone Art Museum’s 48th Art Auction kicks off this weekend – Q2
- Mar 3, 2016 – Arin Waddell carries on art tradition started by her father, Ted – Billings Gazette
- Jan 22, 2016 – Hello Montana interview with Kat Healy – Yellowstone Art Museum Art Auction – KSVI
- Jan 21, 2016 – Yellowstone Art Museum opens diverse Auction 48 exhibit Thursday – Billings Gazette
- Dec 17, 2015 – Art Auction 48 marks Jan. 21 for opening reception – Billings Gazette
What people are saying information from Website:
What visitors are saying about our exhibitions
A letter from a visitor sent to us Oct 13, 2015:
Dear Mr. Volkersz,
My name is Carol Matas and I am writing to you after viewing your exhibit Persistent Memories.
I am a writer of children’s books and have written many books on the Holocaust including Daniel’s Story for the US Holocaust Memorial Museum. My husband, Per Brask, and I are on a short vacation from our home in Winnipeg Manitoba to Bozeman. We stopped in Billings overnight and were going to drive straight to Bozeman but got stopped in Billings by the windstorm. We decided to go to the art gallery we discovered as we looked up things to do in Billings. We walked in looking forward to seeing local artists and were curious about what we would discover.
Then we walked into your exhibit- having no idea what it was about. I stared at those suitcases and started to read the names. Before long I was in tears. We went from there to the other room and I can really not express the impact the exhibit had on both of us. it was so powerful and so touching and so personal all at once. And so unexpected.
At any rate I just felt the need to write and tell you how much it meant to us. We have a newly opened Museum of Human Rights in Winnipeg and as soon as i get back I will be calling them and telling them about your work in the hope that many more people can see this piece.
My husband Per is a theatre professor and a poet and he has written a poem inspired by your exhibit. I hope you won’t mind me attaching it here for you to read.
I am actually writing to you from our hotel in Bozeman where we are staying until Thursday. Perhaps we will run into more of your work here- I hope so.
With best wishes,
“Wisdom Road Poem” by Per Brask
More comments left by our patrons from recent exhibitions:
The Botanical Series: Photographs by Gerald Lang and Jennifer Anne Tucker
25 June 2015 – 18 October 2015
- Natural Splendor!
- Breathtaking – why we came. Thank you for capturing the beauty in simple things.
- Such a moving pleasure to view. Chicago, IL
- Beautiful – a break from everyday madness!
- Refreshed and vitalized by the viewing
The Other Side of Midnight: Paintings and Prints by Adolf Dehn
25 June 2015 – 27 September 2015
- Really love the older ones, especially “Naked Truth Pursued by Bare Facts”
- This wonderful introduction now beckons me to research more about Dehn
- Thank you, Mr. Sample, for allowing Billings the opportunity to view these pieces.
- Fantastic exhibit – really fun!
- Terrific – still relevant – also historic – thank you for sharing & making us think, Mr. Sample. Great discussion in my family.
Floyd D. Tunson: Son of Pop
26 March 2015 – 14 June 2015
- powerful poignant wow makes my heart cry & sing!
- Thank you for stretching our hearts and minds by bringing this exhibit to Billings. Very thought provoking.
- Amazing. Powerful. Timely. One of the most important exhibits I have ever seen.
- So cool to see some art that is so wonderfully different.
- Wonderful! Billings is so lucky to have this place!
Ride ‘Em: The Art of Will James
26 March 2015 – 14 June 2015
- Billings Gazette page interesting, enjoyed reading it and it served to contextualize the exhibit. Great job!
- I read Smoky when I was 12 – in the sixth grade – it developed my sense of empathy for all animals and will always be important to me. Every 12-yr-old should read it. Plus their parents.
- A peek into the past and a way of life.
- Wonderful follow-up to the field trip to the cabin yesterday.
- Had never heard of Will James. Very happy to get to know him and see his legacy of art and writings.
T.L. Solien: Toward the Setting Sun
16 September 2014 – 4 January 2015
- comical, morbid, awesome
- Wonderful, moving, deep images of art. R. Molloy
- Excellent! I am recommending this exhibit to my three older children!
- Fascinating and freshly meaningful as well as visually exciting. Congratulations
- I could spend a week exploring your work – I never read Moby Dick. I will now.
The Art of the Brick®
4 September 2014 – 4 January 2015
- Great exhibit! Kids begged us to come to a museum! They loved it all and want to come back!
- Makes one think about life while taking you back to childhood.
- Très étonnant! [Very astonishing!]
- Absolutely amazing! Worth the drive from S.E. Idaho!
- First time in Art Museum, came to see
- Brought me to YAM for the 1st time in years!
- Made this old lady SMILE.
- Wow. My mind is Blown & My heart has new eyes to see things in a new way! Thanks!
- We saw a poster for The Art of the Brick in NYC this summer but didn’t get to see it. We are thrilled that the bricks followed us home to Montana!!